Monday, May 16, 2011

Calling All Angels

I was born in Idaho Falls but my family moved to Arizona when I was in 6th grade. It was hard to move away from many friends and family members but I quickly adapted and made new friends. I loved Phoenix – the heat, our swimming pool, my friends, and being so close to my grandparents. My mom and dad came to us once again and told us we’d be moving BACK to Idaho and I was devastated. I cried all the way to Idaho.

But God really blessed me we an angel. My mom took my sister and I to mutual to meet the other young women in our new ward before girls camp and I met Angie. She was this tiny little girl with the biggest heart. She immediately took me in and became one of the best friends that I have ever had. Angie has been such a great example in my life. She was there in 8th grade with me as my father faced thyroid cancer. She was there through the tough high school years. She was my roommate in college as I tried to make the decision to serve a mission. She wrote letters of encouragement as I served in Texas and she was there the day I married my sweetheart.

Angie has given to others her whole life. She has lived her life like a true disciple of Christ. She serves and she loves others as Christ would. I know that when Angie meets her Savior she will know Him because she has become like him.

But Neil and Angie lost their little boy a few hours after he was born. I know that their little boy was so perfect that he had no need to remain on the earth. They provided him with the only thing that he needed – a body. I also know that they will have the opportunity to raise that little angel later on in the Plan of Salvation. But despite the trial of losing their son, Neil and Angie have reached out to others. They have been doing a service project called “Calling All Angels” where they have been collecting baby blankets to donate to hospitals in California for other little babies. They are amazing examples of love and Christ-like service.

I know that it was hard for Angie to lose her little child and although I don’t have any children of my own yet, I know how specials they are. I teach second grade with 24 of the sweetest children in the world. They are busy, funny, and sometimes a handful. They are small little people with big hearts like Angie’s. We were learning about people who do great things even when their lives are hard and I told them Angie and Neil’s story. We decided to make a blanket as a class to show Angie and Neil how amazing we think they are. These little children were so sweet about this one little blanket. They tied each knot with love and were so excited to give something to someone else. Children are so special and such great examples!

I hope and pray that God will bless Angie and Neil with another angel to watch over on this earth. I also hope they know how incredible they are. People all over have been making blankets to donate because of these 2 extraordinary people. My little 2nd graders and I are grateful for people like you!!

DSC00631

2 comments:

  1. You, Angie and all your friends are my angels. You girls have been such an example in my life. more than you will ever know. I am proud of Ang for doing this and for you and your close to you and Derek. It is hard leaving my home of 47 years, but a blessing to be with you. You are like my BFF. I look forward to sweet little classroom for caring enought to make this quilt! so cute. Mae, I love being many years of memories! here in UTAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy! You are the sweetest thing. This whole post just made me bawl and it was just what I needed today. Thank you for thinking so highly of me even though you know my weaknesses too :) I love you so much and appreciate your friendship. You'll always be one of my BFF! You are the one that has such a BIG heart and I'm touched that your sweet little 2nd graders were able to help us out! I need to get your address so I can send your class a thank you. Can you email it to me? Love you Mae!

    ReplyDelete